Enabling democracy to better tackle sustainable development requires changes to many aspects of our democratic practice and political systems (see The Challenge).
To more easily consider the innovations required, we are currently working on six themes:
- Participation and accountability to improve decisions, implementation, justice and legitimacy.
- Political institutions and policy-making that incorporate sustainable development goals and the long-term, integrate decision-making, and appropriately value options, risk and uncertainty.
- Constitutions, rights and law embedding long-term, nature, future generations and sustainable development principles.
- Multi-level governance to better respond to the challenges of impacts and causes at different spatial levels.
- Promoting culture, values and awareness that create supportive norms, understanding and collaboration.
- The roles of civil society and business in adapting and innovating democracy to address sustainable development.