Internationally, democratic innovations are responding to sustainable development concerns, contributing to the resolution of some of the tensions identified in The Challenge. We have divided these innovations into six interrelated themes:
- Constitutions, rights and law embedding nature, the long-term, future generations and sustainable development principles.
- Political institutions and policymaking that incorporate sustainable development and the long-term, integrate decision-making and appropriately value options, risk and uncertainty.
- Participation and accountability to improve decisions, implementation, justice and legitimacy.
- Multi-level governance to better respond to the challenges of impacts and causes at different spatial levels
- Promoting culture, values and awareness that create supportive norms, understanding and collaboration.
- The roles of civil society and business in adapting and innovating democracy to address sustainable development
You can search on these themes and different topics for existing initiatives: